Monday, September 21, 2009

When God Closes A Door, He Opens A Window

Anyone who views a pet as a cherished family member knows the depth of pain that comes from their loss. Leo passed away unexpectedly on Monday, July 13th at one month short of his 8th birthday. Pete and I sobbed for days, wondering what could have been done and if we had we done enough. Questions, doubt, aching pain. Leo's death ripped the heart from my chest in ways I never thought possible. He was my constant companion. My shadow. My friend.

I awoke Saturday morning to a gray day. As I laid in bed listening to the steady rain, I felt a heaviness in my chest as I remembered Leo. He would have been snuggled under my chin. Pete and I dressed and began our Saturday morning routine - breakfast, taking Kady and Dee to their grooming appointment, and other miscellaneous errands. After a visit to schedule our pool closing, I led Pete next door to Yorkie & Friends. I had never been to this shop, and my goal was not to buy a puppy. I wasn't over losing Leo and didn't know if I would ever be ready for another puppy. Yet, I was curious. The owner explained that all her puppies are either her own or come from local contacts whom she trusts. We looked around at a few cute puppies...but none tugged my heart strings. Perhaps I was expecting too much, too soon.

"Do you have any more puppies?" She led us to the back of the small room where I saw a brown ball of fluff. He is a Shorkie - half Shi Tzu, half Yorkie - and the offspring of the owner's own dog. His 8-week old sister was adopted the previous day. I fell in love immediately.

I looked at Pete with pleading eyes. He knew we wouldn't be going home alone.

He looks like a minature bear...so we named him Teddy.

Teddy enjoys watching television with his dad. They discuss football strategy.


Leo will always hold a specialy place in my heart. But there's plenty of room for Teddy, Kady and Dianora. It is a three dog night once again :)

9 comments:

Mama/Baby-Catcher/KellyJellyBelly/KJB/Wifey said...

Welcome home, Teddy.

Jamie Payne said...

He is sooo stinking cute! Ayden is about to go out of his mind because he's so excited to meet Teddy! Jameson could care less and Ava would just want to chew on him:)

Judyann said...

Teddy is adorable. Can't wait to meet him in person. Love the picture of him by himself. Not that I don't enjoy seeing Pete, it's just you can see how adorable he is all over.

Jennifer Huff said...

OMGoodness! He is adorable! Just like Ayden-I am DYING to hold him! Congrats on the newest member to your family! Nathan just asked this morning, "When is Ruger's (our 10-yr old Choc lab) birthday? He's wants a Batman cake, Momma!"

dsr524 said...

He is sooo very cute. From the looks of those pictures, I bet you didn't have to plead with Pete too much. He is, I'm sure, happy to have another "man" around the house.

Deb said...

I'm so glad you adopted another animal to be part of your wonderful family. Leo will always remain in your heart as loved ones do.
It's been almost 6 years that I lost my soulmate, Heidi. Although Heidi wasn't perfect as she lacked some potty skills, she more than compensated with her ability to read my emotions. If I talk about her, I still well up with tears to this day.
Teddy is adorable! How are his new siblings taking to this cutie pie???

Erika said...

I'm happy that you were able to find Teddy. Timing just happened to be perfect! If Jack was there he'd just try to catch him! (I read Jamie's post)

scrappysue said...

i'm so sorry about leo deb, but how precious is that cute little ball of fluff you have right there!?!

scrappysue said...

oh my goodness - he's teeny tiny and so cute!